Wednesday, July 23, 2014

My week's adventures: Part 1: Boston, Harbor Islands

I decided to take advantage of my daughter's apartment in Charlestown by inviting myself (mothers can do that, right?) for several nights.  My plan was to take the Megabus from Portland to Boston on Sunday (at a total cost of $2 round-trip!) and eventually going to NYC from Boston.  I arrived in Boston early on Sunday, and my daughter was not going to be back in town until late afternoon, so I walked all over the city.  Which I always enjoy as it's quite a lovely walkable city, only thing is I had a 20? lb. back pack strapped to my back! And it was quite hot and muggy....so, by 2:30 p.m., I'd walked over and around Beacon Hill, the Boston Public Gardens, Commonwealth Avenue, the Commons and on over to Fanheuil Hall/Quincy Market, heading over to the North End and then crossing the bridge to my final destination near Bunker Hill where I plopped myself on the ground!





Here I am, ready to take on Boston and the Big Apple!

These are the beautiful lines of the Zakim Bridge that you see as you walk from Charlestown into Boston's North End.  The bridge and connecting tunnel were built as part of the Big Dig, the largest highway construction project in the U.S.  

Frog Pond in Boston Commons




In the North End

This "waterpark" is part of the Rose Kennedy Greenway, Boston's newest park, which stretches from TD Garden and the North End to Chinatown.  Just over a mile long, it has a very large variety of attractions including beautiful landscaping, festivals, sculpture, etc. as well as a selection of Boston's popular food trucks!
Above and below are the Swan Boats which you'll see in Boston's Public Gardens.



This is the Bunker Hill Tower, I've walked up the 200+ steps in the past but was too pooped to do so this visit!




That evening, Emily and I took a ride on out on the water on a local Ferry Boat from Boston's new Southport area which was developing very fast!


On Monday, I decided to take a ferry boat out to the Boston Harbor Islands, it was well worth the $15.  The islands have snack shacks, public bathrooms and visitor centers that are open during the summer (not sure of their off season hours).   Georges, Peddocks, and Spectacle Islands are all serviced from Long Wharf in Boston which was about a 30 minute from where I was staying in Charlestown.





A map of the islands.



I took these shots of the Boston Skyline below from the Ferryboat as we cruised over to the islands:






The above picture is of Spectacle Island Harbor and the picture below is of Georges Island, home of historic Fort Warren, a Civil War-era fort known for its graceful granite archways and reputed ghost, the Lady in Black.


Spectacle Island (above) is ideal for hiking, swimming, boating and learning.  There's a visitor center that has exhibits about the island's history, and there's a sandy beach (one of the few on the islands) which has lifeguards and changing rooms.  As you can see below, you can take in panoramic views of the harbor and city from the tallest hill on the islands (which was built up from all of the dirt that was dug up from Boston's Big Dig and sent over on barges!)  I took the picture below from Spectacle Island.


My path around Spectacle Island crossed with this wild turkey!





This marina makes Spectacle Island a popular destination for boaters.






No comments:

Post a Comment