Monday, February 11, 2013

Oh Ca-Na-Da!!!!

A four day weekend in Quebec City, how lucky am I?!  Well, I have to say, these things do not just happen, I make them happen...I am fortunate to have a job in which I get quite a bit of vacation time and I'm also lucky to know people who have condos they are willing to share at a very low cost.  This wasn't my first time to Quebec, I've actually been there a lot....I must say that I prefer Quebec in the summertime, but it is more of an adventure in the winter.  No matter the season, it is a beautiful city with very many friendly, hospitable people.

People say that Quebec reminds them a lot of being in Europe, something that I can't say as I've never been to the latter....no worries, I plan to go some day!  I'm sure you'll agree once you've seen the architecture and the narrow cobble-stoned streets...

Here we are getting ready to set off on our first venture...it was below 0 degrees F at this point!





The Chateau Frontenac













Quite lovely, isn't it?

Oh, it was the 2nd weekend of three during the Winter Carnival....as you can see, Canadians embrace the winter!  We walked along the Grande Alley and saw these ice bars which would later be quite busy...








It was mid-morning at this point, we went over to the Parliament Building and after "checking in," we checked it out and had coffee.



That's the Parliament Building in the background...
Coffee break....
If you have time during the week, M-F, make a lunchtime reservation , it seems quite nice and quite affordable....who knows which Canadian officials you may meet!

There was more walking to be done, this time, down into the lower village....it was well worth it, quite charming








Notice the dog's little booties!



As you can see though, the street(s) were completely empty which is amazing considering it's Carnival time!

After much more walking along the Promenade Deck in front of the Chateau, it was time for another break..


A Manhattan for him a Belini Proscecco for me....We sat by the window in the Bar at the Chateau, looking out at the Saint Lawrence; it's quite a treat, but you pay dearly for it....only one for us!












This is the Chateau Frontenac, you can't miss it...


 The St. Lawrence looks quite cold, doesn't it?  I hear that in years past, it's been completely frozen...but as you can see, today wasn't the case.  We actually took a Ferry Boat across to Levis, it's like $8 I believe...I'd suggest going at dusk, then you'll see the lights of the Magnificent Chateau, etc. on your return.



There are walkways galore in Quebec, all along the fortified walls of the city.  You don't see many fat Canadians, I can see why....

There were very few people who were brave enough to go toboganning on this day...but it was definitely something that I wanted to do!





This is the Bon Homme, you can find him everywhere....



No comments:

Post a Comment